Mothership Character Sheet
The original Mothership character sheet is among the best pieces of layout design I’ve seen in RPGs, combining an excellent character-creation flowchart with a very usable gameplay aid. However! After running the first “season” of a campaign and using my players as playtesting subjects, our needs gradually deviated from what the original sheet accommodated, and I found a few tweaks I’d like to make. Plus I wanted to learn from the master by picking apart Sean’s original and see if I could find ways to improve on it!
Calm Version Downloads for users of my Calm system:
- Make a fitting homage to the original, maintaining its flowcharty quality, usability, and aesthetic
- Maintain character stats and necessary instructions for character creation
- Lay out the sheet to lean a little more towards usability in play while maintaining ease of character creation (use less space on character stats, make a bigger Notes field, etc.)
- Use the latest playtesting health rules, in which PCs have Hits in addition to HP, and each Hit has HP = Strength
- Use the latest playtesting encumbrance rules, without adding too much clutter
- Try to make the flow between Skills a touch more readable
- Add some more fields:
- A “Player” field (for ease of organization — I hold onto the player sheets in my home game)
- A “Next Level XP” field (so players can easily see what they’re working towards)
- A “Conditions and Phobias” field (I want to lean more into these in the future)
- A “Minimum Stress” field (this has come up a bunch for us)
- An “Unused Skill Points” field (my players often bank skill points for later use)
- A “Debt” field (we haven’t used this yet but there will be new debt rules, plus I like the message putting it on the character sheet sends)
- Add some spaces for new skills (we’ve been pretty well covered so far, but I like explicitly calling out that we can add new ones if we want)
- 2020-04-09: added a form-fillable version.
- 2020-09-03: added a version that uses my Calm system.
- 2020-10-23: added a form-fillable version of the Calm sheet.
- 2021-05-13: added a French translation of the form-fillable Calm sheet by Pyloric.